Tech Blech

Tuesday, January 02, 2024

Switchbot blind tilts - a review



I wanted to get automatic blind opener/closer devices (so-called "tilts").   It's possible to buy fully automated Venetian blinds from the get-go, and if ready to buy all new blinds, that would be the way to go.  I already had fairly new wooden blinds, so I wanted to retro-fit my existing blinds with a device which would tilt them automatically in a programmable way.

When I did my research in early 2023, there were 3-4 companies that sold retro-fit tilters, but it seemed to me only two of them were likely to satisfy me.

One solution was very expensive, but people tended to be highly satisfied with the results afterwards.  I think the product was called Somfy Clever.  The cost would have been $230 per blind and one must take the blinds off the wall to replace the tilt mechanism with a small motor.  I think you also have to buy a $230 hub.  I don't know how they are powered.  There is a physical remote control device, but I don't know how "automated" that solution is in terms of being able to program the blinds to behave how you want automatically.  If one wants a perfectionist solution that is essentially invisible, and has the money for it, this solution is worth a long look.

I, however, didn't want to take my blinds off the wall, or spend so much either, because the cadillac solution would have cost me about $3000 for  11 windows, not to mention a complex installation. Instead, I chose to install a gadget hanging off the blind that physically turns the wand.  It is from a Chinese startup called Switchbot.  I've installed Switchbots on 7 of my 11 blinds and they work adequately, though the documentation was poor and I had to redo my first installations more than once until I had learned a lot from trial and error.  It is one of the cheaper possibilities, coming in at around $70 per blind plus buying a hub, also about $70.  I ended up buying two hubs, one for each end of the house, because one hub did not seem to reach all over the house.  When you open the app, the hubs also display the temperature and humidity in that room.  I have actually enjoyed having the humidity readings  from the hubs during hot, steamy summer weather. 

The Switchbot add-on devices allow me to automatically open/close around sunrise/sunset and tilt the south blinds during hot weather.  I can also open/close the blinds by talking to Alexa or manually.  But the installation is not easy to learn.  It required getting on a ladder and removing the cornice for each blind, then measuring things very carefully.  The instructions were minimal, and I made some mistakes and had to learn by trial and error.  They really need to improve the instructions.  There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing the installation, where things go perfectly, but none of them anticipated the kinds of issues I ran into, which were all able to be overcome but not without some extensive experimentation.

Switchbot responds to support emails and  were very helpful via email, but response time from them can be a day or more after the first trouble report. 

Each blind tilt has a rechargeable battery that needs to charge about 6 hours (from empty) to get full.  From a full charge, the tilt is supposed to last six months under "light usage".  Each Switchbot tilt come with a little solar panel intended to mount in the upper corner of the window.  I disliked the solar panels taking up some of the window space, and my windows are shaded so they weren't getting enough sunlight.  Thus, I bought a charger (the cable was included) for each tilt, and then  plugged each tilt into the nearest wall outlet.  Buying the chargers, and in some cases, the right size of an extension cord, added to the cost and complexity of the install.  Next, I discovered that the tilt has a light that is visible after dark and I didn't want that in the bedrooms, so I decided to put all the Switchbot chargers on smart switches so they are only powered on for six hours during daylight, accomplishing the same thing the solar panels would have.  Also in some cases, I have needed to install a cable channel (long, straight plastic tunnel) on the wall so that the extension cords didn't look tacky or touch the floors.  I used white gaffer's tape (strong but removable)  to  hold the cables in  place in the top of the blind and, sometimes, to tape the cables to the wall.
 
The power issues drove the cost of each blind up to closer to $100 per window.  

Next problem was, that some Switchbots periodically get confused about where the home position is (usually after a few weeks) and ask for recalibration.  Calibrating a Switchbot only takes a minute but requires one to have a smart phone with Bluetooth enabled, and then turn the blinds to fully closed down, fully open, fully closed up, and again back to fully open.

In the year since I got them, the Switchbots asked me to upgrade the firmware only once.  I had to do this individually for each Switchbot, but it went without a hitch as long as was able to connect via Bluetooth to the Switchbot Hub nearest that blind.

Lastly, there is the color issue.  The Switchbot tilt gadgets only come in white, whereas my blinds are brown, so the look is not perfect.  If your blinds are a light color, this won't be an issue. 

All in all, once I got them all installed and tuned correctly, I love having them very much despite their imperfections.  Since I work from home, I'm there 24x7, and automating the blinds means one less chore morning and evening.  Also, it helps me wake up mornings to have the blinds open automatically, letting the beautiful morning light stream in.

Here is the charger that I ordered for each blind tilt (they come in a 3-pack): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079R9N7WS/

Here is white gaffer's tape, useful anytime you need to tape down a cord somewhere but may want to remove the tape later (it comes in various colors too): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMNYFHI/

It may be obvious, but the house needs to have wifi working first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home