Tech Blech

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sql Server Management Studio 2008 logon persistence problem

I very often open SQL Management Studio 2008 for the same server. Problem is, the very first time I accessed this server, I did so using a different user name and password. Forever after henceforth, SQL Management Studio refused to remove this old server entry from my dropdown list in the "Connect to Server" popup window.

This made it necessary to click to change the user and enter a new password about 80 times per day--all because this premium, allegedly very smart sophisticated software has decided never to forget a former entry--even though I have deleted the Registered Server and recreated and so forth. I'm frankly angry about this nuisance, which wouldn't matter if I didn't have to open and close the tool so many times per day.

If anyone has any concrete suggestion on how I can defeat this thing, please let me know. I see from the internet that I am not the only one having this frustration, but I have yet to find any blog entry or suggestion to alleviate the problem.

UPDATED with an answer in Aug. 2010:

For Sql Server Management Studio 2008 on Windows XP, to restart all your logins, delete the file:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\SqlStudio.bin

or possibly:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell

----

For Sql Server Management Studio 2008 on Windows 7, to restart all your logins, delete the file:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\SqlStudio.bin

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home