Tech Blech

Sunday, June 01, 2008

using Ruby, Tk and Eclipse

It took me a long time to learn howto do this. I found that on Windows XP, I had to use exactly these versions and install them in this order (rebooting in between):

* Ruby one-click installer v 1.8.6
* ActiveState Tcl v 8.4.x (NOTE: 8.6 did NOT WORK)

After this, the machine path was set to find both programs, AND I was able to configure Eclipse to compile using this version of Ruby, so I can now use Eclipse as the IDE. The trick is, when in the Ruby perspective, first create a Ruby project, and at that point, Eclipse gives you a chance to select a different Ruby virtual machine. Make sure then that you choose the Ruby.exe file installed by the Ruby one-click installer.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • you should check out giant campus an awesome cyber camp!!!

    By OpenID gaar, at 11:42 PM  

  • This was incredibly helpful. I've been struggling with this all day. WinXP, Eclipse, Ruby and Tcl Tk was a mess to try to get setup.

    Thanks for bailing me out here.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home